Tuesday, June 29, 2010

First Full Parisian Day

Day two of The City of Lights – and it gets better every minute. I love this city. I love the juxtaposition of the old and glamorous and ornate with the slightly seedy and modern graffiti and all smothered with that air of unmistakable frenchness. I like that people are out and about here, that you can be surrounded by swarms of people on the street and on the train and also spend a few hours looking out your window at the Fondation des Etats Unis of the City University de Paris completely alone and fantastically happy.


Despite the reputation of Paris for consistently being on the cutting edge of fashion, there are a few trends that I have encountered over the past two days that, frankly, baffle and unsettle me.


Trend 1: The Man Purse.

Seriously guys, this is a horrible idea. Seeing men all over this city with the same messenger-bag style purse as I have is deeply, deeply disconcerting. I mean, all of their shorts clearly have an abundance of cargo pockets, can’t they just put their stuff in there?


Trend 2: Razor scooters.

I honestly haven’t ridden a Razor since maybe the seventh grade, and I am sensationally jealous of the myriad of people that I have seen riding them all over this city. Seriously, men, women and children alike are all scooting it up around this city, much to my surprise. I am so confused as to why they are so popular, but most of the time (especially when my feet are hurting from hours and hours of walking) I really wish that I had one too.


Trend 3: Public Displays of Affection.

If I see another couple very obviously in love and shouting it to the world by holding hands and spontaneously making out and giggling incessantly I’m most likely going to vomit that banane et nutella crepe that I had for lunch all over the Champs Elysees. Again, this deep-seated dislike of those in love in the most romantic city in the world stems from jealousy very much like that of the Razor scooters.

I’m going to stare out my window a bit more until the sun goes down while listening to Furr (works cited: Bob and Patrick) for the billionth time. And, in case you skipped the first paragraph (I don’t blame you, it was my first feeble attempt at blogging, after all), I LOVE this city.

No comments:

Post a Comment