Sunday, July 18, 2010

I Love British Airways

This past weekend I went to visit one of my good friends from high school, Theresa Valach, in London. I flew from Charles de Gaulle to Heathrow on British Air Friday night, and the events of my flight are as follows:
4:50PM: We board the plane, a good thirty minutes after we were supposed to
5:17: I fall asleep in my window seat
5:20: The plane takes off
5:30: The drink/snack cart passes my row
5:32: I wake up
5:33 - 5:50: I mentally debate whether or not I want a ginger ale badly enough to make the two people between me and the aisle stand up and move, sit back down, and then stand up again when I come back with my ginger ale and a bag of assorted pretzels and crackers.
5:51: I decide to call over another flight attendant to ask for my ginger ale
5:51 and 5 seconds: The pilot tells us to put our seats and tray tables up because we will be landing in Heathrow in approximately seven minutes.

Once I got through border patrol and customs (very efficient at Heathrow, I was very impressed) I took the tube to Covent Garden where I met Theresa and her boyfriend Matt. We went out to dinner at a Mexican restaurant that was actually pretty good, but we spent most of it reminiscing about Houston Tex Mex restaurants. We also spent a portion of our night at Los Locos, a bar with a very lively dance floor, complete with a troupe of men who all knew the same dance moves which Matt and Theresa and I tried (rather unsuccessfully) to copy and execute.
Saturday we spent in Windsor, and then Saturday night we ate at Maze, one of Gordon Ramsay's restaurants, and it was definitely in my top 5 favorite meals of all time. Sunday morning we went to Westminster Abbey for church (free admission!) and then we met up with Tyler Carlson to have high tea at Kensington Palace.
I was running a bit late trying to make my flight back to Paris, but I did make it just in time, and my flight home went like this:

5:00PM: Flight was supposed to leave now, we haven't boarded yet
5:15: We board the plane
5:20: I take my seat in the very last row of the plane
5:22: I fall asleep
5:30: The plane takes off
5:55: I wake up, the drink cart is still a good ten rows in front of me (Success!)
6:03: The pilot announces that we are descending into Charles de Gaulle in six minutes and to put our seats and tray tables in the upright positions. The drink cart packs up and heads back to the back, without having served the last three rows.

Moral of the story: bring your own snacks for planes, it will be far less stressful.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you got to the plane successfully! High tea and the abbey were great fine. I cannot wait for this weekend however

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I was running a bit late trying to make my flight back to Paris, but I did make it just in time"
    classic alexis...good work

    ReplyDelete